After signing a recording deal with Polydor Records in July 2009, Goulding's debut album, Lights, was released in February 2010 to generally positive reviews from music critics. The album debuted at number one on the UK Albums Chart, and has since sold 850,000 copies in the United Kingdom and 1.6 million copies worldwide.
In February 2011, Goulding told the Daily Star that she had plans to release a follow-up to Lights sometime in 2011, commenting, "I'm not going to go away for ages. It'll be out this year or the start of next." In April 2012, Goulding stated that she hoped the album would be released in October 2012. The majority of the tracks on Halcyon were recorded with producer Jim Eliot of Kish Mauve (also known for his work with Kylie Minogue and Ladyhawke) in a converted barn near Lyonshall, Herefordshire, the village where Goulding grew up. Recording sessions for the album also took place at Studio Splendido in Wales; AIR Studios, The Ballroom, EMI Studios, Fly Eye Studio, Starsmith HQ and Strongroom Studios in London; Red Rhino Studios and Troublemakers Studio in Montreal; and Biffco Studios in Brighton.
In an interview with Carson Daly on his 97.1 AMP Radio show on 6 August 2012, Goulding explained the inspiration behind the album's title, saying, "Halcyon is like a bird that basically during the winter, it would lay its eggs by the sea and bring calm to the stormy waters and a lot of my songs on this record are about the ocean and water." She also unveiled two songs from the album— "Only You" and the title track "Halcyon".
- ↑ Ferguson, Paul (4 September 2009). "Herefordshire singer, Ellie Goulding, signs recording deal with Polydor". Hereford Times. Newsquest. http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/4581912.Herefordshire_singer__Ellie_Goulding__signs_recording_deal_with_Polydor/. Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- ↑ "Lights – Ellie Goulding". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. http://www.metacritic.com/music/lights. Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- ↑ Template:Cite journal Template:Subscription required
- ↑ Dawson, Kim (11 February 2011). "Ellie Goulding faces hell of a title fight". Daily Star. Northern & Shell Media Publications. http://www.dailystar.co.uk/playlist/view/176324/Ellie-Goulding-faces-hell-of-a-title-fight/. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- ↑ Corner, Lewis (23 April 2012). "Ellie Goulding hoping to release second album in October". Digital Spy. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a378025/ellie-goulding-hoping-to-release-second-album-in-october.html. Retrieved 23 April 2012.
- ↑ "New Album HALCYON Out Oct 9". Interscope Records. 30 July 2012. http://www.interscope.com/artist/news/default.aspx?nid=39109&aid=1187. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- ↑ Bort, Ryan (30 July 2012). "Ellie Goulding Announces New Album, Halcyon". Paste (magazine). http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2012/07/ellie-goulding-announces-new-album.html. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- ↑ Baron, Zach (12 October 2012). "Ellie Goulding on Her New Album, 'Halcyon,' and More". The New York Times (The New York Times Company). http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/arts/music/ellie-goulding-on-her-new-album-halcyon-and-more.html?_r=0. Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Template:Cite episode